Sunday, October 20, 2013

*HAPPY RELEASE DAY* Review Of Making Faces By Amy Harmon

   

There Comes a moment when a book is so special that it leave you at a Loss for words.This is that book for me.I cannot even use Gifs to express how I feel because they aren't worthy enough.

Ambrose Young was beautiful. He was tall and muscular, with hair that touched his shoulders and eyes that burned right through you. The kind of beautiful that graced the covers of romance novels, and Fern Taylor would know. She'd been reading them since she was thirteen. But maybe because he was so beautiful he was never someone Fern thought she could have...until he wasn't beautiful anymore.
Making Faces is the story of a small town where five young men go off to war, and only one comes back. It is the story of loss. Collective loss, individual loss, loss of beauty, loss of life, loss of identity. It is the tale of one girl's love for a broken boy, and a wounded warrior's love for an unremarkable girl. This is a story of friendship that overcomes heartache, heroism that defies the common definitions, and a modern tale of Beauty and the Beast, where we discover that there is a little beauty and a little beast in all of us.

                                                                  Le'BookSquirrel's   Review
                                                                           5 STARS
I was given an ARC for an honest review

    There comes that moment in every bloggers life where they meet that book.The one that they know their review will in no way be able to express just how amazing the book you just read is. I am taking a deep breath right now and going to attempt my best to put into words exactly how amazing Making Faces is.

      Making Faces is a story from several different angles.You have Fern,Ambrose, and Bailey's Point of View.You also have the story going back and forth from past and present.It is done in a way where you can easily follow and it flows well with the story.In fact it adds so much depth to the story that it takes the story to a brand new level of amazing.
      I will do the best to summarize the story without giving spoilers away.Fern was basically the Ugly Duckling in school and Ambrose the Prince in school.Fern has loved Ambrose forever and Ambrose never really returned her affection during their school years.Bailey is in a wheelchair and suffers from a debilitating disease.Fern and Bailey are best friends and she helps him as best she can.Bailey has an amazing outlook on life. Ambrose is a wrestler who has scholarships waiting on him to take him to college.This story starts in the year 2001.Sadly Sept 11 2001 is brought to life in this story and Ambrose and his friends sign up for the military.Sadly something happens in Afghanistan like you would expect in war and Ambrose is critically injured and his Loss is great.The healing process is great and when he comes back to his hometown he literally runs into Fern.Suddenly the roles are reversed.Fern is no longer the Ugly Duckling(however she has no idea she is beautiful) and Ambrose feels like a monster. 
    Deep Breath, This book  when I read it brought back memories of how I felt when I personally was sitting in class the day the planes hit the World Trade Center Buildings.The fear.The no longer feeling safe and being scared.I remember it so clearly and Amy was able to portray that fear and portray the feeling of no longer feeling safe in America. 
   I connected with Fern like no other character before.She was ME in high school.I said to myself..Amy wrote me in this book.Not only did she mention one of my favorite classic books in there (Anne of Green Gables) but she actually put a bit of that in the story.At least in my opinion I was comparing her writing to that of L.M Montgomery.I saw some of Anne in Fern. Let me be clear when I say that This is in no way a retelling of Anne of Green gables. Im simply saying I felt that pull.
  Finally,Making Faces is breathtaking.Simply put.It is a must read and I honestly can say..Even though I have loved every Amy Harmon book I have ever read that this is her best work yet.I connected with the characters,none of the characters overpowered each other and most of all I connected as I have never connected to a book.Amy,You have written an amazing,amazing book and Kudos to you.You have blown me away.


No comments:

Post a Comment